HP 270 for sows
Hamlet Protein specialist in young animal nutrition acknowledges the importance of a good life start for our production animals. And that the quality of that life already starts before birth.
We have therefore developed a special enzyme-treated SBM to support sows during the last weeks of gestation where the protein requirement is very high due to the rapid fetal growth and during lactation to support colostrum quality and milk production.
When dealing with your sows diet, have you been asking yourself:
- Is your main protein ingredient in sow diets SBM?
- What other protein sources are used in the sow diets?
- How is the lactational performance of the sows?
- Are you satisfied with the piglet weaning weight?
- Would you like to improve mortality in the maternity barn?
If the above is something you struggle with then consider using HP 270 for sows.
The benefits of using HP 270 during transition and lactation are numerous
- Improved fetal growth
- Better birth weights
- Uniform litters
- Better colostrum quality
- Higher milk yield
- Stronger piglet vitality
- Heavier and more uniform weaned pigs
- Better body condition scores of sows after lactation
Leading to more pigs weaned per sow per year. Another important feature is that the use of highly digestible protein in sow diets improves the protein efficiency and reduces the excretion of nitrogen into the environment.
HP 270 is such a highly digestible soy protein which is low in ANF’s and contains exactly the right amino acid profile to support the sow.
Why use HP 270 in transition diets
During last weeks of gestation (over day 85) many sows suffer from protein deficiency due to the rapid fetal growth in the end of gestation.
Source: Kim et al. 2005
The use of highly digestible protein in transition and lactation diets for sows is important for good lactational performance and subsequent fertility.
During the last weeks of gestation fetal growth is so high (over 60 grams per day per fetus) that the risk of protein deficiency in gestating sows is a reality. The better digestible the protein source the more protein can be used for fetal growth and colostrum production (this is being produced during the last 2 weeks of gestation).
Benefits for gestating sows: The direct advantage of a better protein efficiency is more protein available for fetal growth (piglet birth weight and uniformity) and colostrum quality & quantity (more immunoglobulins and higher piglet vitality).
Why you should use HP 270 during lactation:
- The nutritional requirement to support milk production is very high
- Feed intake capacity is limited
- Sows need to mobilize body reserves to meet the nutritional demand if dietary intake is insufficient
- The more digestible protein in the diet the less body reserves the sows needs to mobilize
- During the last weeks of lactation, the new follicles start to mature on the ovaries. If this occurs during a state of catabolism it has negative effects on oocyte quality and subsequent fertility.
HP 270 is an enzyme-treated soy specialty protein, known for its good protein digestibility. The use of HP 270 improves protein efficiency, which reduces excess protein going to the hindgut where it can be fermented by pathogenic bacteria. The direct advantage of avoiding hindgut fermentation of protein in sows is a more favorable microbiota which is then vertically transferred to piglets at birth, providing a good life start. Secondary, as the protein efficiency improves sows can produce better quality colostrum (more immunoglobulins) and more milk with the same amount of feed while the amount of excreted nitrogen per sow decreases.
Why is HP 270 a better protein source for sows than SBM?
Soy protein with reduced ANF’s overcomes protein deficiency and stimulates colostrum quality and results in:
- Best amino acid profile for sows.
- High in isoflavones, known to stimulate immunological pathways leading to higher immunoglobulin levels in colostrum.
- Benefits of soy are further improved when antinutritional factors (ANF’s) are reduced.
- The reduction in ANF’s levels results in an increased digestibility (SID) of amino acids (AA) which is beneficial for the sows to meet their AA requirements.
- Especially during late gestation when most sows suffer from protein deficiency due to the high fetal growth and during lactation when the milk production demands a high protein efficiency the digestibility of protein is crucial.
The use of HP 270 in sows results in improved performance:
- Improved protein efficiency in transition and lactation*
- Better colostrum quality (higher concentration of immune globulins) *
- Higher piglet vitality*
- Increased weaning weight*
- More pigs weaned per sow year*
- Smaller lactational burden meaning improved subsequent fertility especially for younger sows*
- Healthy gut microbiota**
- Better N retention**
* Benefits described in literature for the use of ESBM or SPC in sows. ** benefits proven in trial with piglets
We attend events around the world. Meet us at exhibitions and seminars - we always look forward to welcoming you!
We also sponsor conferences with focus on young animal nutrition.
Have a look below where to meet us next.
Feed is the critical factor in animal production, accounting for up to 70% of total costs. Using HAMLET PROTEIN specialty soy proteins in young animal feed, you can optimize feed efficiency – and maximize your return on investment.
The key is their easy absorption by immature guts. Although added to feed for only a limited period in early life, our proteins have a strong carry-over effect on animal growth and performance. Feeding trials have documented a higher slaughter weight compared to animals fed standard soybean meal.
Our highly bioavailable proteins improve feed quality overall. That paves the way to reducing the total protein content – cutting the cost of your formulation.