A responsible value chain
Soy is an important ingredient for Hamlet Protein and for our customers. We commit to sourcing responsible soy that does not contribute to deforestation or habitat conversion. We do this through a cooperation with our selected suppliers, industrywide organizations, Danish Agriculture & Food Council, National Oilseed Processors Association (NOPA), Round Table on Responsible Soy (RTRS) and The European Feed Manufacturers’ Federation (FEFAC).
For GMO SBM, we can offer RTRS-certification due to our round table membership.
When cultivated and processed in a responsible manner, soy can be the sustainable protein source of choice for animals, consumers and our planet. All our soybean meal for our specialty soy ingredients for young animal feed is sourced from approved suppliers in Europe, North and South America.
We support full soy traceability
We source all our soybean meal from approved suppliers in Europe, North and South America this is how we ensure the quality of our raw material
Through our membership of the Roundtable on Responsible Soy, Danish Agriculture & Food Council and the Danish Initiative for Ethical Trade, we play an active role in protecting nature from destructive soybean farming
- For GMO SBM, we can offer RTRS-certification due to our round table membership.
- For non-GMO SBM, we provide full supply chain traceability and deforestation-free sourcing via ProTerra or similar.
- Through FEFAC, we participate in the Danish initiative to secure full traceability of GMO SBM by 2025.
Soy – a critical protein source for global needs
No other source of vegetable protein holds so many benefits for health and the environment
- Soy is a complete protein that contains all essential amino acids
- Soybeans have the world’s highest protein and oil yield per hectare of farmland. Their ability to absorb nitrogen from the air reduces the need for fertilizer
- They are also easy to store and distribute without compromising protein quality
We offer three packaging solutions, all optimized in terms of feed safety and environmental footprint.
- Bulk is the most environmentally friendly way of transporting our products
- Big bags are made of polypropylene (PP) which is recyclable, neutral to the groundwater when deposited in landfill and burns without generating toxic gases
- Paper bags are made of several layers of paper and a single polyethylene (PE) layer to secure high feed safety. All our bags carry a recycling label
- We transport our paper bags on disposable pallets to optimize feed safety. Suppliers of pallets to our Danish plant only use FSC, PEFC-certified wood. At our US plant, pallets are sourced locally in Ohio
Minimum water and energy consumption
Our founder developed our patented bioconversion process more than 30 years ago. It’s still the backbone of our business – producing easily digestible, highly palatable soy proteins for animal feed. Since the beginning, we’ve focused on:
- Minimum water and energy consumption
- Minimum carbon emissions and maximum utilization of raw materials
- Today excess heat from our production is redistributed as heating for more than 3,200 households
There is an increasing awareness on the need to protect our natural environment. That is our collective responsibility.
At the same time a growing world population puts pressure on our resources. As most of us do not want to compromise our way life, we need to think of innovative ways to protect our environment for future generations.
That is exactly what Hamlet Protein is doing in our renewable energy project. Through a unique cooperation with the district heating company we redirect excess heat from our production process to heat 3,200 local households.